Select Page

Full-time study visa in Ireland

Paweł Zosik, Living in Dublin for over 10 years
09 January 2017

Do I need a visa to study in Ireland

Citizens of EU or EEA countries do not need a study visa in Ireland.

Citizens of Schedule 1 countries are entitled to stay in Ireland for 90 days. Therefore, if you enrol on a course that runs for less than 90 days, you won’t need to apply for a study visa.

Students who are not from an EU or EEA state and who want to stay in Ireland to study for more than 90 days will need to apply for a study visa. This also applies to Schedule 1 countries.

What courses will allow me to apply for a study visa

In order to apply for a study visa you must apply for a full-time, daytime course. Here you have a choice between a higher education programme or a language school. The rules are slightly different in each case.

Higher education programmes

Since 1 June 2015, you have to enrol on a programme leading up to at least Level 7 of the National Framework of Qualifications (equivalent of Bachelor’s degree) in order to be eligible to apply for a student visa.

The maximum time you can spend studying in Ireland is 7 years. There are exceptions to this limit for Ph.D students, medicine students and, for instance, in case of an illness.

Language schools

It is very important to carefully choose your language school. Your language course has to be provided by an institution that the Irish Government monitors and recognises. You should check our list of approved languages schools and colleges in Dublin.

Since 21 January 2016, the immigration permission to attend a 25-week English-language course is reduced from 12 months to 8 months. You are effectively required to enrol on a 6 months course in order to get an 8 months visa. You are allowed to enrol on a maximum of three courses consecutively. This gives you 24 months as the maximum time you can stay in Ireland on a study visa for the purpose of studying English.

Interim List of Eligible Programmes (ILEP)

Irish government maintains and publishes a list of institutions and courses that entitle you to apply for a student visa.

The ILEP list is available via the link.

In order to apply for a study visa you must apply for a full-time, daytime course. You have a choice between a higher education programme or a language school. The rules are slightly different in each case.

Student Visa checklist

  • A Letter of Acceptance from the college or language school, confirming you have been accepted and enrolled on a course of full-time education.
  • Receipt for payment of college fees. You must pay any fees up to the amount of €6,000 in advance. If your fees are more than €6,000, you must pay at least €6,000 in advance.
  • You must have access to €3,000 in your bank account at first registration in addition to your course fees.
  • All students are required to have private medical insurance, either personally or through a group scheme operated by your college, at time of registration.

Can I work during my stay in Ireland?

After successful application for a student visa you will receive Immigration STAMP 2 for Non-EEA national attending a full time course of study. With that you have the following entitlements:

This person is permitted to remain in Ireland to pursue a course of studies on condition that the holder does not engage in any business or profession other than casual employment (defined as 20 hours per week during school term and up to 40 hours per week during school holidays) and does not remain later than a specified date. Also the person has no recourse to public funds unless otherwise provided.

External resources

This guide is a compilation of information that can be found on various Irish official websites. Please check pages below for more detailed information.


This article is for informational purposes only. While we want to keep the information up-to-date, laws and regulations tend to change. When applying for a visa, always double and triple check every information. If you notice any incorrect information on this page, please contact us at

Opening Bank Account: Guide for Newcomers

To open a bank account in Ireland you will need Proof of Identification and Proof of address. Obtaining an acceptable Proof of Address, can be a challenge. Let us help you.

Read More

Student CV Introduction

An introduction to the process of writing a CV as an international student in Dublin

Read More

How to apply for a full-time study visa in Ireland

A guide for citizens of Schedule 1 countries undertaking language courses in Ireland.

Read More

Pin It on Pinterest